Friday 19 March 2010

Report - Selling Myself

After I graduate from university the pressure of getting a job really begins. To be a designer who can approach job opportunities and market themselves and their work is a very important skill. Promotion and marketing could be considered two of the most important aspects of being a designer.

Luckily, I have the opportunity to sell my designs at this years New Designers. New Designers provides about 3,500 new design graduates the chance to meet industry employers from around the country. It allows the media to have an insight into your work and provides them to spot new talent.

I have recently been looking on the Internet for websites which show jobs and companies which are employing graduates. One of my contacts Helen Latimer suggested that I looked on Drapersjobs.com, which is designed for people who want to be involved in the fashion industry. This website has really excited me and re-assured me that certain opportunities are aimed at a CAD design graduate, in my position.

When I contacted John Tate from Lyle & Scott, I tried promoting myself through many areas of their company. I explained on their Facebook page about the work I had done, and my passion for creating menswear. Doing this was beneficial to me as I was then put in touch with the HR department who I forwarded my design work to. Luckily, due to my persistence, my work was forwarded to the head designer of the company, John Tate. I visited John and he was keen to suggest I stayed in touch and showed him my developments. This opportunity was great for me as it could possibly open doors with the company and allow future contact and discussion regarding opportunities.

I contacted Helen again regarding this report and asked her directly about how she promoted herself as a designer after graduation and how she continues to market herself today. she kindly told me exactly what her methods after graduation were. She told me that she spoke to people who visited her stand at graduate fashion week and she supplied the potential employers with a business card which she had made herself. I was then told that she joined all the fashion job agencies and visited some to show her portfolio, and then responded and acted on their feedback and advice. All the interviews Helen got, whether it was from agencies or from her graduate fashion week, she always listened to the feedback and it made her eventually create a portfolio that was suitable for the industry and pleasing for employers. Helen then told me that she had done a years work experience at university, and she recommends this to anyone as it shows a potential employer your understanding for the industry.

Today, Helen markets herself mainly with her own website. She makes sure that all her work that gets sent to an employer is totally relevant to the job in discussion. Helen then told me that before a job is offered by a company they may ask you to complete a project, she believes that it is crucial for a designer to do their best at completing this. The design speaks volumes and could get you the job all by itself.

When selling your work, I asked what factors she needs to consider and think about. She told me that its important to know exactly what you are passionate about and what inspires you. Find out what makes you the best candidate, so you can easily point out why you should be chosen for the job. Also, Helen said that I should make sure that my work shows how I am up to date with trends, that I am are focused and can deliver a range from research through to final design and that I have understood the market I have designed it for. She followed this information on by kindly giving me advice about selling your work. She asked me to consider whether or not the interviewer or client would understand my work even if I wasn't available to present it. She told me that it is important to edit individual projects so that it only displays your best work and so it is relevant to individual clients who may want to see something different. Helen believes that it is essential to always stay professional and keep a good manner when meeting new contacts. Our discussion continued regarding selling yourself and Helen gave me a very interesting piece of advice which was to look online and read about interview tips because they always offer good advice about selling yourself as an individual.

I have learnt a lot through my research into this topic and it is definitely beneficial to me now with only a few weeks left until the deadline of my degree. I feel more confident when speaking to potential employers and more ambitious when finding job opportunities.

Word Count: 816

No comments:

Post a Comment