Sunday 7 February 2010

Manchester & The Canals

Throughout my final project, 2 themes that I will be taking into consideration and gathering inspiration from are modernism and nautical. The main area I want to look at in modernism is the swiss poster designs from the 1950's - 60's and i want them to inspire the graphics I use on my clothing and possibly the colour. I want the nautical theme to be seen in my choice of colour, to help decide which garments I choose to design on to and to offer me a style which is something I havn't worked with before.

I decided that during my day out in Manchester I would try and capture photographs of the city and the architecture which had a similar feel to the modernism posters I have been looking at. I had to be clever with my photography though, or try and find areas of the city which naturally had beautiful geometrics.

I visited the Marple canals the day after, as I wanted to get more of an idea into the nautical theme. It's possibly not the most appropraite place to visit because there are many other places which would suggest the theme better, however It was a good start and enjoyable day because I found some interesting patterns and colour combinations, whilst having a nice walk!

I believe that alongside my research from the internet and magazines, my personal photographs from my areas of interest will help me understand and develop successful designs for my final project.

Below are a few of the photographs taken from my days out.

Manchester City Centre (4/2/10)
Marple Canals (5/2/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment