Sunday 7 February 2010

Contact Report: John Tate at Lyle & Scott

I was waiting so long for a great opportunity like the one I had on 25th January, a visit to a design studio, a chance to see what was the day to day routine of working in fashion, to see how the professional mind works and ask numerous questions that would allow me to only improve as a practitioner.

It was not just any old studio that I visited that day though, It was the company I had been interested in for years, a brand that I shop for on the high street, and finding the studio situated just off Carnaby street just made my trip to Lyle & Scott amazing.

I had been in discussion with the company over Facebook, who kindly gave me the email address of the HR department, who shortly after put me in touch with Lyle & Scott's head designer, John Tate, who had previously had a brief look at my work and asked me to travel down to see him. I gathered my visualization boards and portfolio of Lyle & Scott designs and made my way to the studio on the morning of the 25th.

I arrived In Euston and made my way to Oxford Circus, and I knew my surroundings instantly because I was a 30 second walk from Carnaby Street, (easily noticeable by the radical fashion trends and style of people). I located the studio and made my way to the 3rd floor of the building, hoping that I would be met by a receptionist who would kindly introduce to me John. However, after reaching the 3rd floor and making my way up a corridor and through a door I found myself in the centre of one of the design studios, with John Tate and 2 other designers sat there discussing visualisations for their next collection. Thankfully John stood up straight away and welcomed me into the fray, allowing me to sit and watch him and his team conclude their discussion about their new designs.

20 minutes had past, and the discussion was over, John then told me about what he had planned for me aswell as summing up quickly what Lyle & Scott is all about. John showed me 2 rooms that were next to each other, with different design teams in. One team designs and constructs outfits for the vintage range of the company and the other designers focus on the golfing area of the company. The styles don't get mixed because the 2 rooms look at different inspirations and are designing for different ages and style of customer.
John then asked to see my portfolio, and he asked me to guide him through it as much as possible and then he would give me some feedback and explain how I can improve in this area of the design market.

I began by showing him some of my research and photographs from New York City, and he gave me very useful information about how as a designer I can break these photographs down, and notice shapes and lines which don't particularly stand out. John emphasised how I need to begin taking my photo's out of their context, and if I played with scale it would allow me to create more visually interesting designs and provide me with more ideas.


The 2 images above were shown in my portfolio, alongside possible fabric swatches and inspirations, John really liked these two designs and commented on the stripe design by saying that it wouldn't have look out of place in Lyle & Scott's last collection. This was re-assuring because I felt that I had understood the identity of the company, and their style of design. John liked how I had the design as an A3 sheet aswell as it being visualised on garments, he said it is something he is currently getting his design team to do.

After discussing my portfolio for a while longer, with John kindly giving me some great advice and feedback about the processes of designing, the company, and the positives and negatives of my collection, he allowed me to ask him some questions. These were questions which I had wanted to be answered for a while, questions which I wanted someone in John's position to answer - a professional designer of a company I hoped to work for. Below is the question and answer sheet I typed up just after the interview...




I found out some very useful things off John including how to visualize garments, asking how to improve and whether or not living in Manchester would affect my chances of working in a studio similar to his.

The day wasn't over yet though, John very kindly stayed with me for a few hours before he headed to a meeting but before he left he told me stay in touch and made sure that I was given a variety of different fabric samples and colour ways for me to understand. John then said goodbye and shook my hand as he introduced me to the woman who designs the golfing range of the company, she kindly took me to the flagship store and introduced me to the store manager and told me lots of information about the history of the company. We discussed how the company had grown, which areas had improved since she joined and explained to me how the companies concept had changed throughout the years.

Whilst in the store, the manager explained which garments were selling most, and gave me his opinions on the new range. He told me that the busy controversial designs balanced with the simple plain shirts were key in creating a successful collection. A collection which will appeal to the mainstream and give people something to talk about.

My day was concluded shortly after when I was taken to see the Lyle & Scott clothing in Urban Outfitters, I hope to stay in touch with John and I intend to invite him to my show at New Designers this summer. The day was just fantastic, I have learnt so much in the space of one day and can now imagine how great it would be working in a studio like Lyle & Scott. I was delighted by the treatment John and his design team gave me, everyone was polite and easy to get on with and the whole atmosphere of the company is brilliant.




No comments:

Post a Comment